Bangkok Diplomatic Missions
- The international relations– either political economy or social culture, nowadaysbecomes boundless. Most regions all over the world have their own policies to keep on the relation in the city level and make the Regional City Networks.
- All global cities promote their relationship and internationally exchange their cooperation to develop cities and conserve the global environments which currently become the crucial issues of the world.
- Bangkok, as the capital city of Thailand and one of the important cities of South East Asia, plays an important role on the international stage with many diplomatic missions as here below:-
The International Relations of Bangkok
- Fostering the cooperative relations between cities or Sister Cities Relationship Bangkok creates the brotherly relationship though many activities which are continuously held to exchange the cooperation in many fields with 21 cities in 15 countries.
- Cooperating with the international organizations and the regional city networks. Bangkok has the cooperative relations with 7 international organizations – either national or regional organizations from the city network.
- Promoting the relations and cooperation with all embassies in Thailand. Bangkok encourages the good relationships with 74 embassies which are located in thecapital city of Thailand.
The Encouragement of the Cooperative Relations between the Cities(Sister Cities)
The Encouragement of the Cooperative Relations between the Cities (Sister Cities) By the friendly cooperative agreements in several fields, Bangkok makes relationships with many important cities around the world. Most agreements of which the purpose is for advantages of both contractors are made under the authority and functions which can be done in various relations such as the Sister Cities relationship, the Friendships agreements, and the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). Going through these kinds of relations, Bangkok has unceasingly exchanged the cooperation in many fields with 22 cities in 15 countries.
22 Sister Cities of Bangkok
The Cooperation with the International Organizations and Cities Network.
Bangkok makes the closely cooperative relations with both national and international organizations in the local level which is the city network, as well as the urban level joining together to deal with the specific issues like the global climate change and the global warming.
11 organizations Bangkok joins with are :
1. The Asian Network of Major Cities 21 (ANMC 21)
The Asian Network of Major Cities 21 (ANMC 21) is founded to exchange experiences and perform the joint projects, which are organized to develop and solve all kinds ofmetropolitan problems. There are totally 18 joint projects at the present. Bangkok participates in 6 projects pertaining to culture, environment, sanitation and society. Most projects are taken care by the concerned department of Bangkok Metropolitan Administration.
2. Asia Metropolis Summit (Asia 11+1) is the international summit of 11 metropolitan cities and 1 Kansai
Asia Metropolis Summit (Asia 11+1) is the international summit of 11 metropolitan cities and 1 Kansai region of the Osaka Metropolitan collaborative with the local government, including the Kansai Economic Federation of Japan (the West Region) under the commitment of the urban network-building for the unity of the Asian growth, known as Asian Eleven plus One.
3. Asian Pacific City Summit , of which the members are 19 cities in Asia-Pacific regions
Asian Pacific City Summit, of which the members are 19 cities in Asia-Pacific regions, is founded to set up the mutual cooperation for city development. Asian-Pacific City Summit Secretariat is located at Fukuoka, Japan, and the summit has been held every 2 years, as a forum where leaders of Asian-Pacific region can get together and have exchanges of opinions in a candid manner. The working level conference between those persons working at the front line has also been held following each summit in order to accumulate all related information of the host city for further urban development.
4. C 40 Cities Climate Leadership Group
C 40 Cities Climate Leadership Group, led by 40 metropolitan cities, is established to promote the mutual cooperation in these cities toward solution of the global warming problems and the global climate changes.
5. CITYNET ( The Regional Network of Local Authorities for Management if Human Settlements in Asia and Pacific )
CITYNET (The Regional Network of Local Authorities for Management if Human Settlements in Asia and Pacific) is originated by the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UN-ESCAP), realizing the significance of the mutual collaboration between the city in particular the developing cities.It’s mainly founded to well organize the municipal system and develop the life quality of population. Presently, there are over 100 members - either cities or organizations, from 22 countries in Asia-Pacific regions.
6. CLAIR ( The Japan Council of Local Authorities for International Relations )
CLAIR (The Japan Council of Local Authorities for International Relations), an agency of Japanese government, is founded in response to promote and provide support for the local-level internationalization in Japan by gathering and providing overseas information, as well as developing the human resources of local government employees able to professionally handle the international affairs.
7. Metropolis ( World Association of the Major Metropolis )
Metropolis (World Association of the Major Metropolitan), founded in 1985, is to promote and exchangethe mutual collaboration in the city members. It also acts as a mouthpiece on the international stage for the member’s benefits regarding the issues of the city development. Metropolis has been acknowledged as the important organization on the international stage by the big international organizations like UN, WHO, and World Bank.
8. Asia Pacific City Summit
Under the theme ‘The Business of Cities’, the 2011 APCS will focus on business growth, trade, investment and economic outcomes for participating delegates and sponsors and developing partnerships between local, national and international government agencies and the private sector.
9. ICLEI ( Local Governments for Sustainability)
Local Governments for Sustainability is an association of over 1220 local government Members who are committed to sustainable development. Our Members come from 70 different countries and represent more than 569,885,000 people. The Council was established when more than 200 local governments from 43 countries convened at our inaugural conference, the World Congress of Local Governments for a Sustainable Future, at the United Nations in New York.
10. Global Design Cities Organization
As a global consultative group on urban design policies, the Global Design Cities Organization (GDCO) enables cities worldwide to discuss future-oriented schemes for urban development spearheaded by design and urban design policy. At the WDC World Design Cities Summit held in February 2010, delegations from 32 cities reached a consensus about the ongoing necessity of mutual cooperation for global progress in urban design, thereby concluding the biannual hosting of the Global Design Cities Summit (GDCS) with its inception in 2011.
11. ASEM Meeting for Governors and Mayors
Jakarta Capital City Governance, in collaboration with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Indonesia, hosted the 1st ASEM Meeting for Governors and Mayors during October 28-29, 2010. Focusing on the core theme of sustainable urban development, the Meeting underlined the importance of cooperation between ASEAN and European cities in such areas as good local governance, urbanization, migration, social inclusion and climate change. Leaders and representatives from the cities including Vientiane, Bandar Seri Begawan, Seoul, Helsinki, Berlin, Tokyo and Bangkok as well as international organizations and Embassies representing the sister-cities of Jakarta joined the Forum. M.R. Sukhumbhand Paribatra, the Governor of Bangkok attended the Meeting on October 29, 2010 and chaired the 3rd Session on the themes of sustainable development and climate change problems.
Foreign Activities Planning for 2013 Budget Year
1. Set up BMA’s foreign affairs information system.
2. Strengthen and expand relations with other countries at the city level.
3. Enhance cooperation among cities through city-level organizations.
4. Foster good relationship with Diplomatic Missions and foreign communities in Thailand.
5. Improve city potential in the global arena. 6. Establish the ASEAN Cities Forum.